Sunday, August 28, 2011

How the West was Won, Part One

Hello friends, I am home again. 
I didn't really tell any of you that I was leaving because of that little voice that tells me not to broadcast too much over the internet until it's over... or close to done.  And we are now close to done.. relatively. 

And there is a story to tell.  It will probably take me a few tries and a few parts to tell it.  It involves a cross country trip, an ending and a new beginning and some events that can only be viewed as little miracles.   :::note: 'little' is not to scale:::


Two weeks ago, my boyfriend and I loaded our three dogs into my truck along with the basic necessities needed for a two week cross country trip, with plans to go visit my family out in Oregon. Well, Oregon and just across the border in Washington, too.  We would take a week to drive out, stay for a few days, and then get back quickly.  We wanted to take Interstate 90 across, as I80 is just plain boring, and so off we went, early Wednesday morning.  By sunset we were already in Indiana and took turns driving through the night and into morning so we could be across the Mississippi as soon as possible.  Everything really just changes instantly after you cross that River.  It's amazing.


Day two brought rolling fields as far as the eye could see speckled with old barns and beautiful farm houses.  I wanted to walk through each one and listen to its stories, hearing the years unfold as I fondled it's weathered frame and painted skin.  I wanted to pick soybeans and smell sunflowers while walking through the waving wheat.  And so we did... collecting treasures as we went.




 Soybean fields are amazing.  They look incredibly soft as they blow and bend in the breeze, flipping their leaves upside down.  Their color patterns shift and spread like the sun tagging the wind on the surface of the ocean, sprinting up and down the fields in green waves.  It's amazing to watch and it eventually called us in.

We picked interesting little plants and flowers to add to our soybean sprout and during our trip we watched this bouquet gain more and more species, and grow and bloom with memories that seemed years gone by, and yet were still as fresh as the smell on a babes head.  It meant something to us.
And life was good.

 We were already in South Dakota as day two came to a close.  We were pretty close to the Badlands, which is where we planned on spending the entire next day, and the sun hadn't set yet, so we drove down some back roads not worried about getting lost, because you just don't worry about things like that when it's so amazingly beautiful out and all you need to do, really, is head west anyway and what's the rush when there is so much beauty everywhere and no where to be.. really.
And life was good.

We let the dogs out of the car so that they could run and it was amazing to watch them each choose to do something completely different.  Chopper stayed right with us, Riley ran a mile down the road and then wouldn't cross a cattle guard, and Oliver ran for about two miles before he willingly jumped in the truck as we came up on him.  They needed some leg time!  After the run and dinner, we hunkered down for the night and dreamed of the wide open canyons of the badlands and speed goats and nothing but the wind and the earth and the black hills in the distance and Yellowstone not too far after that. 
And life was good.

to be continued...


  1. Dear Samantha, I have to return to read about your adventures...for now I only enjoyed the beautiful lovely!

  2. Thanks darlin! It's good to be home!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...