Sunday, August 7, 2011

Cooking with Karma

There are myriad reasons that I love living in the Hudson Valley of NY.
One of which is the great food and the many forms it comes in.
We have big fancy restaurants, small mom and pops places, little coffee shops,
big bakeries, and best of all, we now have a Tapas Lounge.

I love Tapas most of all.  You see, I believe in the perfect bite.  The amuse bouche.
I want a little bit of every flavor on the plate in one forkful of delicious goodness.
I want a chef that I can trust to not waste one ingredient.  A chef that carefully chooses his
ingredients, flavors and spices so that when my fork grabs a bit of everything and then gently
dips into the sauce on the plate, I know it's all going to work.

And we now have a place in Poughkeepsie that does just that and more.
It is called Karma Lounge and it is a slice of heaven.

::::Let me just mention that I have no affiliation with the place at all...  they didn't ask me to
write this, in fact, I've only just recently met the owners.  I just really love good food, good service, 
 good owners and atmosphere and I like to pass that info along::::





Karma Lounge is on Main Street in Poughkeepsie, NY right near the park with the 
art installations and just up from the train station.

Their menu is creative and sleek, and very well done.  And they serve a full food
and drink menu until 2am every night which is far beyond any even decent eatery around here
except for the diners, and I'm not knocking the diners, but I would rather have  a Duck Crouton
Salad or Asparagus fries and Roasted Rosemary Fingerlings then anything on a diner menu at 1am.




Michael and Sally, the owners, are one of the best things about the place.



They care.  They hang out.  They pay attention.  They love art and it shows in the food,
in the design, in the backyard patio complete with water feature...






Sally is a mixologist and her cocktails are delicious and unique.  From Thai Chili Blood Orange Margaritas to Strawberry Coolers with Jalapeno Simple Syrup and a great wine list too, I am 
always pleased with the selection.  Even if you just want a beer, it comes in a chilled Mason Jar, 
which just makes me feel right at home.   



You can sit and have great service outside on the back patio, inside in the loungey dining room,
complete with big soft chaises and cozy chairs, or even at their amazing bar.
It's big and solid and has enough overhang for your legs to fit comfortably, and the 
hand made copper top is gorgeous and right up my alley! 
Watching it patina is like watching a Guinness settle... mesmerizing.






_______________________ *** _____________________


I do also love cooking at home though, too.  There is nothing like the smell of a house with
comfort food being chopped, stirred, fried, baked, eaten....

Especially breakfast.  Even if it's for dinner, which is my favorite time.




When you cook at home you know that Paprika is the best spice to put on potatoes, and that 
some salsa and cheddar in your eggs is absolutely fantastic with those paprika potatoes
and you can make a whole package of bacon just for one, i mean, two people if you want too.






It's the place where you can eat an avocado right out of the skin while everything is 
cooking and still save some for your salsa eggs because no one is coming around  trying to
take your plate too fast.  It's where the coffee can have as much Bailey's in it as you want
and the Mimosas don't cost $8 each. 













And it's where there is always someone there to get out the metal splinters from when you've
been working so hard. 




 I take food seriously and enjoy what I put into my body.  
It makes me feel good and look good and think good and play good.
And when all of those are good...
life is good.

I hope life is good for you too.

...
sj*
...


4 comments:

  1. SJ--Neat post....we don't have that many unique little restaurants to eat around here...the karma sounds and looks great! We enjoy eating outdoors....so that limits us too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm I love to eat outdoors, in fact, it's a prerequisite for dining in the summer around here. It's nice to see you this morning! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tapas Sam...I think I had the best tapas first in New Haven, a spanish restaurant, and then in Barcelona, and now in Pasadena, a Columbian restaurant...I prefer to only eat tapas but not possible. Lovely photos! Wishing you a lovely week! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would eat them everyday if it was in places like those! yumm.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...